2019 Salt lake county market GOAT Rules
Goat Representative - Larisa Nageli
MARKET GOAT SHOW
- All market goats must have milk teeth in place.
- Market Goats must be clipped and ready to show at weigh-in. Market Goats will be slick shorn. They must be completely shorn and have no more than 3/8” of hair (or less) above the knees and above the hocks. A tail switch may be left.
- All market goats will either be disbudded or have horns tipped with blunt ends prior to arrival at the fair. This means that the horn must be flat on top with no tip present. It is preferable that no horn is present at all. Goats with horns including those that have not been tipped will not be permitted in the market show. This does not apply to the breeding show.
- Exhibitors are permitted to show with chains or collars in the show ring.
- Exhibitors must show and sell their own animal(s) except in cases where an exhibitor owns more than one goat in each class. In those cases another junior exhibitor may assist.
- Minimum weight for market goats will be 50 pounds with no maximum weight. There are no weight restrictions on goats shown in the doe classes.
- All male animals must be castrated.
- Market goats will be divided into uniform lots by weight.
- No white ribbon animals will be sold or given premiums.
- Market goats will not be allowed to show in breeding.
MARKET GOAT SHOWMANSHIP
- Exhibitors will be divided into equal groups by age (Junior, Intermediate and Senior Divisions)
- No more than 10 animals in each class.
- All exhibitors must have ownership of the animal. Only market goats will be shown in showmanship classes unless breeding goats are the sole goat project.
- 4-H and FFA dress code must be followed.
- All does must be owned by the Junior Exhibitor for at least 60 days prior to the show and declared with the doe’s tag number (preferably scrapies tag) at the time of weigh-ins of the market animals.
- All does included in these classes must have been born on or after October 1st of the preceding year.
- Does in these classes need not be disbudded or horns tipped.
- Exhibitors may show a maximum of 2 does.
- Exhibitors may declare tag numbers of 3 does.
- Breeding goats will not be allowed to show in market.